Listed below are 7 bodyweight exercises that can be done at home to improve strength and endurance.
- Bear crawls – Get down on all fours and ‘crawl’ or walk around like a bear. Bear crawl for three to five minutes to work the entire body.You may look silly, but this movement should not be overlooked.
- Spiderman Push-ups – One of the harder push-ups. Assume a normal push-up position and as you lower your body to the floor, bring your knee to your elbow.Return to the normal push-up and repeat for the other knee. Repeat this 10 times.
- Lunges – Stand with feet close together. With hands on your hips, step forward with one leg into a deep lunge, whilst keeping the other leg straight. Push yourself back up and repeat with the other leg.
- 1 leg Squat – One of the best leg exercise that you can do with your bodyweight. This will make you become more stable and challenge your leg strength, endurance, balance and agility.In a standing position, raise one leg out as straight as possible in front of you, and squat down on one leg until your thigh touches your calf. Thereafter, return to the starting position on the same leg. For extra balance, hold your arms straight out.
For beginners, try to get your thighs parallel to the floor. And as your strength increase, get down as low as possible.
- Squats – In a standing position, squat down until your thighs touches your calf. It may sound easy, but try to doing this 100 times!
- Opposite Elbow Touch – In a push up position, bend one arm at the elbow to a 90 degree position and touch the opposite arm. Return to the original position and repeat for the other arm.
- Handstand Push-ups – Try this against a wall and get into a handstand against the wall with your legs straight up.Whilst looking forward in a handstand position, lower yourself to the floor and when your head touches the floor, push yourself back up to the starting position. Try doing this 5 times, and if you find it difficult initially, try to hold in a handstand position for 60 seconds.
The above bodyweight exercises are great for both women and men.
To mix it up more, try a combination of upper and lower bodyweight exercises without rest. That is, 10 ‘Spiderman Push-ups’ reps followed immediately with 10 ‘1 leg squat’ on each leg. Rest for 60 seconds and repeat.
Do this you will build strength and burn fat fast.